Make Your Real Estate Transaction A Successful One
Purchasing a home, business or investment property is the most substantial investment that most people make. When you are a buyer or a seller, you need to be sure that all details of the agreement go according to plan. Likewise, you want to avoid costly surprises. The lawyers at Schmidt & Yee, are ready to stand by your side and make your next real estate transaction successful. We serve clients in Aloha, Beaverton, Hillsboro, NW Portland, Banks, Forest Grove and all communities throughout Washington County, Oregon.
Avoiding Unexpected Issues
While you can buy or sell real estate in Oregon without an attorney, there are several reasons why you should obtain legal advice. Here are just a few examples:
- Only an attorney has a legal obligation to protect your interests in the transaction.
- The agreement that you are asked to sign may be one-sided and not protect your interests.
- Without proper contingencies, you may owe thousands of dollars if the sale does not go through.
- You may not be aware of the tax consequences for the transaction or how you can minimize your tax obligation.
- You may face unexpected issues at closing, such as a lien on the property.
- You may be liable for needed repairs, defects or environmental contamination.
- Only an attorney can prepare Seller carry contracts when a Seller finances the buyer.
- If you are buying commercial or investment property, you may want to own the property as a limited liability company to protect your personal assets from any future liabilities associated with the property.
Hiring an attorney can give you the peace of mind of knowing that you are getting everything you think you are getting out the transaction and are not assuming unwanted liabilities. An attorney can be a knowledgeable ally when it comes to understanding the legal documents you are signing. No one should sign a contract unless they understand what they are signing.
Contact Us Today
At Schmidt & Yee, we are committed to assisting you with a wide range of real estate law issues. Call us at 503-642-7641 today or contact us online to schedule an initial consultation.